1. Scope and application
- information about an individual that is publicly available and is specified by regulation pursuant to PIPEDA;
- personal information that is not collected, used or disclosed, for commercial purposes;
- non-personally identifiable information; and
- the name, title, business address or telephone number of an employee of an organization, where collection, use or disclosure of such information is solely for the purpose of communicating with the person about their employment, business or profession.
collection: The act of gathering, acquiring, recording, or obtaining personal information from any source, including third parties, by any means.
consent: Voluntary agreement for the collection, use and disclosure of personal information for defined purposes. The form of consent we seek may vary, depending upon the circumstances and the type of personal information. In determining the form of consent, we take into account the sensitivity of the personal information and your reasonable expectations. Consent may be provided directly by you, or by your authorized representative, in accordance with applicable law.
disclosure: Making personal information available to a third party.
employee: An employee of, or an independent contractor to, Trees Winnipeg. The inclusion of independent contractors within the definition of "employee" is for convenience of reference only, and should in no manner imply that such independent contractors are our employees within the meaning of employment legislation or are in an employee-employer relationship with us.
personal information: Information about an identifiable individual, but does not include information that is used for the purpose of communicating or facilitating communication with an individual in relation to their employment, business or profession, such as the individual’s name, position name or title, work address, work telephone number, work fax number or work electronic address. Where an individual provides their home address to Trees Winnipeg as their business contact information, Trees Winnipeg considers it to be business contact information, and is therefore not subject to protection as personal information. Information about corporations is not considered personal information.
third party: An individual or organization outside of Trees Winnipeg.
use: The treatment, handling, and management of personal information by and within Trees Winnipeg or by a third party with the knowledge and approval of Trees Winnipeg.
3. Accountability for our handing of personal information
4. Reasons why we collect, use and disclose personal information
Trees Winnipeg collects personal information from you for the following purposes:
- to notify you about products or services we offer or provide, such as education and workshops, as well as trees that are available for purchase or as part of giveaways;
- to track and verify the results of tree planting campaigns, including to recognize top planters;
- to provide you with information, products, or services that you request from us;
- to help us coordinate and manage our employees and volunteers;
- to improve our products or services, for marketing and newsletters, or customer relationships and experiences;
- to carry out our obligations and enforce our rights arising from any contracts with you, including for billing and collection or to comply with legal or regulatory requirements;
- in any other way we may describe when you provide the information; and
- for any other purpose with your consent, or as required or permitted by law.
We will indicate the identified purposes to you, orally, electronically or in writing, at or before the time your personal information is collected. Persons collecting personal information may explain the identified purposes or refer individuals to a designated person within Trees Winnipeg who can explain these identified purposes.
5. Collection of personal information
If you request information, products or services from Trees Winnipeg, we will collect your name and contact details, such as your email address, mailing address, telephone number and language preference.
If you participate in a tree planting challenge, we will collect your name, address, date and location of planting, information as to the type and species of trees you have planted and organizational affiliation (if any).
If you engage with our social media accounts, we will collect whatever information you provide to us through the applicable platform.
You may also provide us your credit card or other payment information in order to pay for tree sales or to support us with monetary contributions. We collect this information only for the purposes we indicate to you at the time of collection. We do not store payment information for later use.
Trees Winnipeg collects and retains information about your transaction history when you use Trees Winnipeg services and various programs (for example, participating in tree planting challenges).
We collect no personal information about you unless you choose to provide that information to us. We do not use techniques that collect personal information about anyone without their knowledge. We only collect personal information about individuals when they specifically and knowingly provide it to us, for example when they fill out a registration form on our website or contact us by telephone or email. As a limited exception to this principle, we may collect personal information without your consent, where permitted by PIPEDA and other applicable laws.
You may withdraw consent at any time, subject to legal or contractual restrictions and reasonable notice. You may contact us for more information regarding the implications of withdrawing consent.
6. Consent for us to contact you about our products and services
The information you provide to Trees Winnipeg – such as your name, address, etc. – allows us to inform you about other programs and services we make available from time to time and to notify you of issues, events or special offers which may be of interest to you. By providing us your contact information, you are giving Trees Winnipeg permission to contact you by way of the information you provide. Should you wish not to be contacted by Trees Winnipeg, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Disclosure of personal information
Trees Winnipeg will not disclose personal information for purposes other than those purposes for which it was collected, except with your consent or as required or permitted by law. Trees Winnipeg may disclose your personal information:
- when we have your consent, whether express or implied (for example, if you have agreed that we can share information about your participation in a tree challenge on our website and our social media accounts);
- to your authorized representatives;
- if and when we are involved in a corporate reorganization or if we sell or lease all or part of our business;
- to meet legal and regulatory requirements; and
- where required or permitted by law.
In such circumstances, we will not disclose more information than is required for the purpose for which the information is being disclosed. We will also, whenever it is reasonable and practicable to do so, enter into privacy agreements with third parties with whom we share personal information.
We will retain personal information only as long as it remains necessary or relevant for the identified purposes or as required or permitted by law. Where personal information has been used to make a decision about you, Trees Winnipeg shall retain, for a period of time that is reasonably sufficient to allow for access by you, either the actual information or the rationale for making such decision.
Only our employees and volunteers who require access for legitimate reasons or whose duties reasonably so require, are granted access to personal information.
We maintain reasonable controls, schedules and practices for personal information management retention and destruction. Personal information that is no longer necessary or relevant for the identified purposes, or is required by law to be retained, is destroyed, erased or made anonymous, as appropriate in the circumstances.
Trees Winnipeg may share aggregate information – not personal information – about its members with other parties and related service providers, to help them better understand Trees Winnipeg members and their interests. Such aggregate information is used to give Trees Winnipeg the ability to work with demographic data about its members in order to improve the organization, the products and services we provide and to our supporting partners, for reporting purposes.
7. Trees Winnipeg Website
Our website may use various technologies, from time to time, to:
- help us customize your experience on our website;
- track your use of our website for advertising, marketing, or promotional purposes;
- help us determine whether you opened an email message from us; or
- gather information to deliver advertisements about products and services we think may be of interest to you.
This information enables us to:
- customize the services we offer you, to improve our website;
- estimate our audience size and usage patterns;
- store information about your preferences, allowing us to customize our website according to your individual interests, including showing you advertisements that we think will be of interest to you;
- speed up your searches; and
- recognize you when you return to our website.
Your choices about how our website collects your information
We strive to provide you with choices regarding the personal information you provide to us.
You may opt out of our use of Google Analytics by visiting the Google Analytics opt out page.
In addition, we have created mechanisms to provide you with the following control over your information:
- Third-Party Advertising. If you do not want us to share your personal information with unaffiliated or non-agent third parties for promotional purposes, you can opt out by emailing email@example.com.
- Promotional Offers. If you have opted in to receive certain emails from us but no longer wish to have your email address/contact information used by Trees Winnipeg to promote our own or third parties’ products or services, you can opt out by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org. If we have sent you a promotional email, you may unsubscribe by clicking the unsubscribe link we have included in the email.
- If you do not want us to use information that we collect or that you provide to us to deliver advertisements according to our advertisers’ target-audience preferences, you can opt out by using the opt out tools created by the Digital Advertising Alliance of Canada, the Network Advertising Initiative or Google Advertising.
8. Accuracy of personal information
We make reasonable efforts to ensure that personal information we collect, use or disclose is as accurate, complete and up-to-date as necessary for the purposes for which it is to be used. If you find any errors in our personal information holdings, we should be informed so that we can make the appropriate corrections. We will convey these corrections to any third party that may have been provided inaccurate information. For personal information that remains in dispute, we will make note in our records of your opinion as to accuracy of the relevant personal information.
9. Security of personal information
The security of your personal information is very important to us. We use physical, electronic, and administrative measures designed to prevent any unauthorized access, disclosure, copying, use, or modification of personal information. Safeguards include securing physical documents and technological measures by way of secure access and encryption (for example, our website uses Transport Layer Security (TLS) encryption). Trees Winnipeg employees and volunteers are authorized to access personal information based only on their need to deal with the information for the reason(s) for which it was obtained. Safeguards are in place to ensure that the information is not disclosed or shared more widely than is necessary to achieve the purpose for which it was gathered. We also take measures to ensure the integrity of this information is maintained and to prevent its being lost or destroyed.
We protect personal information disclosed to third parties by contractual agreements stipulating the confidentiality of the personal information and the purposes for which it is to be used.
We may engage service providers to assist us with fulfilling the purposes for which personal information has been collected, used and disclosed, and, in some instances, these service providers may be located outside Canada. We only select service providers that protect personal information in a manner that is comparable to the protection we provide under our own privacy policies. However, personal information may be subject to, and accessed under, the laws of the countries in which our service providers operate. If you have any questions about our transfer of personal information to our service providers outside Canada, or if you would like to learn more about our privacy policies in that regard, please contact the Trees Winnipeg Privacy Officer at: email@example.com.
10. Openness concerning our policies and procedures
We are open about the policies, procedures and practices we use to protect your personal information. Information about these policies, procedures and practices will be made available to you either electronically or in writing.
11. Access to your personal information
You may access any personal information that we have concerning you, and which has been collected, used or disclosed for a commercial purpose, by sending a written request to the Trees Winnipeg Privacy Officer. Trees Winnipeg may advise you in advance if there is a minimal charge to conduct a search of our records and will respond within 30 days, or advise that the request for access is subject to an extension as authorized by PIPEDA.
To protect your privacy, you may be required to provide sufficient identification, in order to permit us to account for the existence, use and disclosure of certain personal information and to authorize access to such information. Any such information will only be used for this purpose.
We may not be able to provide personal information to you if doing so would violate the privacy of a third party or if certain personal information is subject to legal privilege, contains information proprietary to us or a third party, is too costly to retrieve, or cannot be disclosed for other legal reasons. If we are unable to provide access to all or part of your personal information, we will explain our reasons for such a decision.
Where you have been provided with access to your personal information, you shall be able to challenge the accuracy and completeness of your personal information and have it amended as appropriate.
Personal information that is disclosed to third parties by us will be subject to the general laws applicable in the jurisdiction in which the third party conducts business. As a result, and in certain limited situations, we may not be legally permitted to account for certain collections, uses or disclosures of personal information. In most circumstances, however, we shall provide an account of the collection, use and disclosure of personal information and, where reasonably possible, we shall state the source of the personal information. In providing an account of disclosure, we shall provide a list of organizations to which we may have disclosed your personal information when it is not possible to provide an actual list.
12. Challenging compliance with privacy laws
All questions or concerns regarding our privacy practices should be directed to the Trees Winnipeg Privacy Officer.
13. Contact Us
Attn: Privacy Officer
1539 Waverley Street
Winnipeg, Manitoba R3T 4V7
Phone: +1 204-832-7188
Please also visit the Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada’s website at https://www.priv.gc.ca/en/.